Frequently Asked Questions

Where does Travelers Rest get its unique name?
Travelers Rest sprouted from a stopover point for weary travelers in the early 1800’s. On occasion, it was even necessary to stay in Travelers Rest for months, to wait out the mountain winters, before moving on.

I’ve heard of “drovers.” Who exactly were they and what did they have to do with Travelers Rest?
Drovers were livestock herders, mostly from Tennessee and Kentucky, who herded pigs, turkeys, and other livestock down mountain trails towards the South Carolina low country. Enterprising inn owners provided livestock pens for the drovers who stayed at their inns.

What did the American Indians mean when they referred to “the Great Wall?”
They were describing the difficult-to-traverse southern edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains, just south of the North Carolina border and to the north of Travelers Rest. The upper portion of these mountains runs from Table Rock and Caesar’s Head in the west to Glassy Mountain in the east.

What form of government serves Travelers Rest?
A publicly elected mayor and eight city council members govern Travelers Rest. The city employs a full-time city administrator, administrative staff, and a fire chief and police chief with fully staffed, 24-hour departments.

Can I sit in on the City Council meetings?
We strongly encourage citizen attendance and participation at our monthly council meetings, held on the third Thursday of every month in the council chambers at City Hall. We feel that being an active, civic-minded participant in your local government is the best way for you to avoid rumors and misinformation.

Where is the Travelers Rest City Hall located?
Currently, City Hall and the police department share a building located at 125 Trailblazer Dr, next to the Fire Station in Trailblazer Park.

How close is Travelers Rest to major cities I might recognize?
Travelers Rest is two hours from Charlotte, three and one-half hours from Charleston, three hours from Atlanta, one hour from Asheville, and five hours from Myrtle Beach.

Is there access to commercial transportation from Travelers Rest?
Yes there is; the Greenville downtown airport and the Greenville/Spartanburg International Airport serve our area, along with Amtrak train and Greyhound bus service. In the near future, a former railroad will be converted to a multi-use trail, accommodating both recreational and motorized transit between Travelers Rest and downtown Greenville.

What is the population of Travelers Rest?
Although the area has grown since, the 2010 US census documented 4576 people within our city limits.

What’s the weather like in Travelers Rest?
The average daily high is 71 degrees and the average low is 51.

Does it snow in Travelers Rest?
Our average yearly snowfall is six inches.

What medical facilities are available in Travelers Rest?
In addition to emergency care and diagnostic services found at the GHS North Greenville Medical Campus on Highway 276 West, orthopedics, and pediatrics are also available in Travelers Rest. Other health-related services found in our area include local dentists, vision care, chiropractic, internal medicine specialists, psychiatric services, and general practice medical doctors.

How reliable are the emergency medical services in Travelers Rest?
Very reliable! Because of the amount of area to cover, first responders associated with community fire departments are employed to assist outlying areas with initial medical expertise while an ambulance is on the way.

If I am new to the area, how do I establish mail service?
The Travelers Rest post office is located at 400 S. Main Street and can be reached at 864-834-3227.

How do I get electrical service at my home?
Upper Greenville county is served by two electric companies: Duke Power, at 864-242-3261, and the Blue Ridge Electrical Co-op, at 800-240-3400.

Is there a library in Travelers Rest?
We’re very proud of our library! The Sargent Branch Library (864-834-3650), located at 17 Center Street, provides our community with expert, accessible, customer-oriented library services and meeting space for groups.

Where can I find out about news in Travelers Rest?
Those interested in Travelers Rest news have several options to stay “in the know.”
For print media we have the Greenville News (and its website www.greenvilleonline.com) and the weekly Greenville Journal. Area TV stations include WYFF (Greenville NBC), WSPA (Spartanburg CBS), WLOS (Asheville ABC), WHNS (Greenville FOX), and WNTV (Greenville ETV).  Great online sources for local happenings are TRTribune.com and TravelersRestHere.com.  Local talk radio, WORD 1330 AM, is another great resource for news and information. Note: this list may not be inclusive of all local media.

I’m a business owner. Is there a business association where I can “get connected?”
The Greater Travelers Rest Chamber of Commerce is comprised of business owners and employees from the local area. Their purpose is to foster economic development, community renewal, opportunities for networking, and a unified spirit to help make the Travelers Rest area a more prosperous and beautiful place in which to live and work. Check out their website at www.greatertrchamber.com.

What is the Swamp Rabbit Trail?
The Greenville Health System Swamp Rabbit Trail links downtown Greenville with Travelers Rest via a paved exercise trail, built over an unused railroad line between the two cities.

Can I hunt and fish near Travelers Rest?
The Upstate abounds with wild game and fish. During hunting season, large game such as deer, wild turkey, wild hog, and black bear are successfully hunted. Small game, such as rabbit, squirrel, and raccoon are also plentiful in our area.  Upstate game fish include small and largemouth bass, striped bass, crappie, bluegill, and catfish. Nearby rivers and streams are regularly stocked with brown and rainbow trout. And for the angler who doesn’t mind a bit of a hike, native brook and rainbow trout can be found in mountain streams.

How do I go about getting trash service started?
All requests for trash service should go to Ace Environmental at 864-877-0505.   All trash, yard waste, and recyclables will be picked up on Wednesday, except in a week in which a holiday occurs.

How do holidays affect the trash service schedule in 2018?
Trash will not be collected on the following holidays:
Memorial Day – Monday, May 28, 2018
Independence Day – Wednesday, July 4
Labor Day – Monday, September 3
Thanksgiving – Thursday, November 22
Christmas – Tuesday, December 25
Service will resume on the day following the holiday. For instance July 4th, service will resume on Thursday, July 5.

Does the City pick up recyclables?
Yes, we do. If you wish to recycle you can pick up a recyclables container from City Hall for free, but it must be returned to City Hall, or left at your home, if you move from the area.

What are some of the items that the city trash service will take?
The city will pick up traditional trash, appliances, and even furniture, but will not pick up tires or any type of building material, such as carpet, bricks, or paint. To have cut brush removed you must call the police department dispatch (864-834-9029) to have the dispatcher place you on the brush pick-up list. Brush will be picked up on Wednesdays.

Who do I call about animal control problems, such as a loose or barking dog or an animal not receiving proper care?
For animal complaints you should call the police dispatcher (864-834-9029) and describe your concern. The dispatcher will notify either the city animal control officer or an on-duty police officer, depending upon the time of your call.

Who do I call if there is a home in my neighborhood with a junked vehicle, tall grass, or trash in its yard?
The City Building/Codes Official can be contacted through City Hall (864-834-8740) or the Fire Department (864-834-5536) and he will investigate your complaint and take appropriate action.

Who do I talk to if I have a problem with my sewer service?
The police dispatcher (864-834-9029) can take your information and put you in touch with the public works director.

Is the Police Department open 24 hours?
During business hours, you can enter the Police Department through either the front lobby entrance at City Hall or through the 24-hour entrance on the right-hand side of the building. Police officers and dispatchers are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and can be reached at 864-834-9029, and of course, by dialing 911 for emergencies.

Can I bring my kids to see the fire trucks and police cars?
You certainly may! The firemen and police officers regularly give tours of their stations to individuals and groups. Please contact the Fire Department at 864-834-5536 and the Police Department at 864-834-9029 to set up a time.