Philip Tate, Director of Public Works
The Department of Public Works helps keep the City of Travelers Rest moving each day with many areas of responsibility. We clean and repair your streets, help beautify downtown, build your sidewalks, manage the city’s traffic lights and street signage, and the list goes on. We’re here to serve you and encourage you to contact us with questions or comments.
To report a pothole, road paving problem, drainage issue, streetlight, garbage pickup issue or just find the answer to a question please use the link below.
In accordance with the South Carolina Solid Waste Policy and Management Act of 1991 and R-61-107-.2. following is the City of Travelers Rest’s full cost for its solid waste management
Services for July 2020-June 2021:
TOTAL ANNUAL COST: $281,683.14
COST PER CAPITA: $54.66
If you should have any questions, please contact the Public Works Department at 864.834.8740.
Waste Collection and Recycling
The City of Travelers Rest offers weekly curbside collection of residential household trash, recyclables, and yard debris. The City also makes available a convenient Recycling Center located at 148 Walnut Ln, Travelers Rest, SC 29690 in the parking lot next to the Bilo Grocery Store.
For more information and pickup schedule, click HERE.
Parks and Grounds
The Public Works Department is responsible for grounds maintenance and beautification of Trailblazer Park, Gateway Park, City Hall, and public spaces and plazas along Main Street.
This includes but is not limited to:
-Maintaining flower beds
-Mowing, marking, irrigation, and lighting
-Weed and litter control
-Maintaining restrooms and shelters
-Maintaining park fields and amphitheater prior to and during events
-Maintaining playgrounds and game courts
Streets, Sidewalks and Storms Drains
The public streets in Travelers Rest are maintained either by the City or by the South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT). The Public Works Department is responsible for the maintenance of city-owned streets and sidewalks. They are also responsible for maintaining storm drains including pipe and catch basin cleaning, pipe replacement, ditch cleaning, repair of catch basin tops, and easement maintenance.
Please note that your road may be maintained by the County or State. Our department can connect you to the appropriate party if needed.
Storm Drain Preparedness
The City of Travelers Rest wants to help you be prepared for the upcoming storm season. View the tips below for helpful resources and tricks on how to be storm ready.
1. Clean gutters and catch basins of debris and leaves. Help keep our creeks clean by never dumping in the catch basin
2. For property owners with natural creek beds on their property, clear creek beds of debris
3. Build a storm kit.: Keep needed emergency supplies in your home, at work, and in your car and discuss emergency plans with your family
4. Build a sandbag wall to channel water to a drain or a gutter
5. Have plywood, plastic sheeting, and other emergency building materials available in advance and keep handy for waterproofing
6. Know your flood zone designation and your specific flood hazard. Obtain flood insurance if you are in a high-risk flood area. Homeowner insurance policies do not cover flood damage
7. Plan in advance to assist your neighbors or have them help you