Accommodations Tax Grant Program
1. Advertising and promotion of tourism to develop and increase tourist attendance through the generation of publicity;
2. Promotion of the arts and cultural events;
3. Construction, maintenance and operation of facilities for civic and cultural activities including construction and maintenance of access and the nearby roads and utilities for the facilities;
4. The criminal justice system, law enforcement, fire protection, solid waste collection, and health facilities when required to serve tourists and tourist facilities. This is based on the estimated percentage of cost directly attributed by tourists
5. Public facilities such as restrooms, dressing rooms, parks, and parking lots;
6. Tourist shuttle transportation;
7. Control and repair of waterfront erosion, including beach re-nourishment; and
8. The operating of visitor information centers.
An Accommodations Tax Advisory Committee reviews applications and makes recommendations to City Council for the award of these grant funds.
Procedures and Conditions for Grant Recipients:
1. Submit the Accommodations Tax Grant Application no later than C.O.B. April 26, 2023.
2. Applicants must provide a 25% match in funds. In-kind labor and contributions can be used as matches.
3. Applicants must provide a budget showing revenues and expenditures when submitting their applications and a closing report with actual revenues and expenditures before July 1, 2024.
4. Any violation of the guidelines by the applicant shall result in the following:
a) All funds received by the applicant shall be immediately returned to the city.
b) The applicant shall be prohibited from applying for future funding.
Please refer to the City of Travelers Rest’s Accommodations Tax Grant Guidelines available online at www.travelersrestsc.com for all requirements and procedures for the administration of these funds. For detailed information regarding how State Accommodations Tax Funds may be spent, please refer to Section 6-4-10 of the South Carolina Code of Laws and the Department of Revenue’s official advisory opinion contained in SC REVENUE RULING #98-22. This information is available online at www.scstatehouse.gov.
Grant funding is subject to the discretion of the City Council. Applicants must meet certain criteria. Please read the full program guidelines.
Contact Mike Forman with questions at [email protected] or (864) 834-8740.